January 15, 2014

I HAD A DREAM...

Friends, I am here to tell you that dreams do come true.

Remember this post?  The one where I'm telling you why I want to knit?  To make stockings?  Like the ones that Grammy has been making for her kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids?  Did I get enough question marks in this paragraph?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, the story has come full circle.

Look:




Yeah, I made that.

It was awesome.

So awesome that I will share the pattern with you...at least the individual motif patterns, cause the whole pattern is kinda long...just in case anyone is struggling to find nice Christmas-y motifs for a knitting project.


This is Oakley's stocking and in case you are wondering why there are birds that don't look like doves on it, it's because her middle name is J (just the letter), and it makes me think of blue jays for some reason and so I knitted those birds on the stocking even though they really look like swallows or terns and not blue jays.


And now I can tell you dreams come true, because it was my dream to knit so that I could learn how to make these little guys, even though it seemed so overwhelming to learn all the skills necessary to make one that would look better than an L-shaped blob.

It's a small and silly dream compared to the Mr. King and Mother Teresa's of the world, but I want to tell you something I learned about dreams anyway (not the type you get at night, but the type you work towards and hope will happen).

I'm about to tell you how to make your dreams come true.
Ready?

There is this guy, and his name is Michael Ballam. He is a musician and has sung pretty much all over the world, including the Vatican and the White House.  I heard him speak once and he said something life-altering.

He said that if you have a 'noble' dream, you will get help from heaven in fulfilling it.  And then he defined what he meant by 'noble.'  He said a dream is 'noble' if it blesses other people more than yourself.

That, my friends, is how you make your dreams come true--dream dreams that are noble.

"But," you may say, "that takes away like 90% of my dreams cause I dreamed of someday owning an Arctic Cat M8 snowmobile and a yacht and maybe even a Lamborghini and also being a rockstar."

And then I would ask you, "Well, how can you make those dreams bless others more than yourself?"

And then you would say, "Well if I regularly gave little children or orphans rides on the snowmobile, and invited poor college students to have their wedding on my yacht, and used the Lamborghini to raise money for Habitat for Humanity, and used my rockstar status to encourage people to donate blood, that might do it."

And I would say, "You might be right."

I would also say there is a funny thing about trying to bless other people more than yourself.  That is that, in the end, it always seems like I have been blessed as much, if not more.  It's like the fifth law of thermodynamics (even though it has nothing to do with thermodynamics): If one entity attempts to increase the amount of blessing he affects on another entity, the same or greater amount of blessing will return to him.

I know Newton would be proud.

Love, C

What are some of your dreams, noble or not?  I would love to hear what you dream of.  Comment below, and I can't wait to read them.




Hopefully, if you are a knitter, these patterns will make sense to you.  Each box equals one knit.

Snowflake
Blue Jay Wannabe/Swallow/Tern

Dove
Leaping Reindeer
Elk
Moose
Reindeer

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to be able to build your mother's dream horse ranch and then use it to share with people who love horses but don't have the resources to have horses. Also use the horses for therapeutic type activities.

(K-Lee) said...

May we come and stay at the ranch? A horse won't fit in our apartment...